The first trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens is live. Here's what we've got:
- John Boyega as a stormtrooper. The armor's new, and it's a first to see one of them as person. Rumor has it he's a protagonist.
- A beachball-shaped R2 unit. It's less annoying tha Jar-Jar. Then again, so are head lice.
- Menacing stormtroopers being airdropped somewhere. Does this mean some remnant of the Empire is still around?
- Daisy Ridley riding a giant speeder bike. Is that a lightsaber lashed to the side?
- A desert planet, but possibly not Tatooine. Notice the single sun in the final shot.
- X-wings skimming over a lake. The pilots' uniforms look familiar, but the s-foils are different. Freakin' x-wings, dude.
- A creepy guy with a red lightsaber. It looks more like a heavy claymore than the agile swords we're used to seeing. It also looks angry.
- Cue up the John Williams and ermagherd the Falcon. This is where Abram's style shows up. It looks like it's actually cutting the air, and the way the camera follows loosely it through its roll feels great (also, lens flare). It looks like Han replaced the radar dish Lando wrecked during Jedi.
So, yeah, Abrams. Don't screw this up too much and we'll throw unimaginable amounts of money at you.